A Brief HistoryThe following is a short history of the Alexandra Yacht Club.
Founded in 1906, the first clubhouse was located on Fisherman's Island, a narrow sandbar running south from Cherry street at the east end of Toronto Bay.
About 1914, control of Fishermans Island was transferred to the newly formed Toronto Harbour Commissioners and the club was moved to the north-east of Ward's Island.
In 1918, severe ice conditions shifted the pilings, damaging the foundations and eventually causing the collapse of the clubhouse and the destruction of many of the dinghy's stored inside.
1919 marked the move from Ward's Island to a site on the Aquatic Club reservations at the foot of Bathurst Street. In this new location the club discovered the problems of dredging a launching channel through 14 inch water depth extending about 100 feet out from the club, contended with the loss of many members due to the lack of water depth and survived the impossibility of collecting dues during the depression of the 1930's and dwindling membership during WWII.
But the AYC preserved long enough to enjoy a revitalization in the 1950's. As a streets were laid in the waterfront area, their site eventually became known as 24 Stadium Road. The club remained in that location until the autumn of 1987.
In June 1988, the opening ceremonies were held for our fourth (and current) home, a two-story building constructed on landfill on the north side of the Western Gap across from the Island airport.
In 2005 the club undertook the task of re-landscaping the club grounds, new stair railings and other upgrades.
In 2006 the club held its 100th Anniversary and a plaque was placed outside the clubhouse.